- Dr Fuhrman
- Vegan DHA
- iHerb (Great for ordering supplements, even if you're not in the US. Get $10 off your first order of $40 or more, or $5 off smaller orders, if you use coupon code GUH019)
Recipe: Dahl Soup
I know some people will be shocked to see coconut cream in a supposedly healthy recipe, but I think there is nothing wrong with a little coconut cream every once in a while, in a diet that is full of fruits and vegetables. Of course, if you want to lose weight, you may want to use a lot less, or use light coconut milk instead.
- a bit of oil or water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes (14.5 ounces each)
- 1 cup red or other lentils
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2.5 cups veggie stock
- 75 grams creamed coconut (about 1/3 package, or 2.5 oz)
- Saute the garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes in the oil or water.
- Add the spices and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- If using a pressure cooker: Lock the lid, bring to high pressure and cook for seven minutes under high pressure.
- If using a regular pan: let simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- If using (more nutritious) brown lentils, make sure to cook the soup long enough. I often use my pressure cooker, which makes the lentils very mushy.
Makes four large bowls, Nutrition Facts per serving
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 14 g (12 g saturated)
- Protein: 15 g
- Carbohydrate: 48 g (8 g fiber)
- Iron: 5.2 mg (29%)
July 30, 2006