- Dr Fuhrman
- Vegan DHA
- iHerb (Great for ordering supplements, even if you're not in the US. Get $10 off your first order of $40 or more, or $5 off smaller orders, if you use coupon code GUH019)
Recipe: Super Easy Spicy Tomato Soup
This is one of the first real recipes I made. It was an instant hit and I don't think I ever bought canned tomato soup again. I love to eat this soup plain, but you can of course also use it as a base for more complicated soups.
- 500 ml (about 2 cups) sieved tomatoes
- 500 ml (about 2 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- cayenne to taste
- a little oil or water for sauteing
- Saute the garlic until you can smell it. Don't let it burn!
- Add the vinegar turn the fire on high to evaporate the sourness a little
- Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil
- Add cayenne to taste (I like it quite spicy)
- Let simmer for a short a while.
The original recipe specifies to bind the soup with one slice of crustless old white bread. The first few times I made this I did bind it with whole wheat bread and I was surprised that that worked really well. After that, I decided I got enough bread in my diet as is, and that if I am going to eat bread, I better enjoy it, so I started binding it with arrowroot. That worked fine also, but since simple is often better, I now don't bother with binding and this is still my favorite tomato soup.
Like all vegetarian soups the taste does depend heavily on the quality of your stock.
September 3, 2006