- Dr Fuhrman
- Vegan DHA
- iHerb (Great for ordering supplements, even if you're not in the US. Get $10 off your first order of $40 or more, or $5 off smaller orders, if you use coupon code GUH019)
How to satisfy sweet cravings without junk food
Sometimes you really need something sweet, and a bag of baby carrots just does not cut it. Here are some healthy ideas to satisfy those cravings.
- Smoothies! Put your favorite fruit in a blender with a little water or soy milk and blend. Frozen strawberries and banana's are popular ingredients, but you almost cannot go wrong here. If you're adventurous add some spinach. The color will be gross, but it tastes good and greens are very good for you. Add some nuts or nut butter for an even more nutritious (and calorie rich!) meal. Drink through a straw.
- Sorbet Ice: See smoothies, use at least half frozen fruit and add less liquid.
- Fruit: Find a fruit you really like. Now that I almost never eat refined sugar anymore, I find most fruits deliciously sweet. Even canned fruit (canned in juice) is quite healthy.
- Apple Tart: Try this delicious recipe (leave out the honey, or substitute for something else). If you do not have much time, just mix all the ingredients together and eat it with a spoon.
- Date Nut Balls: Mix three parts raw nuts with two parts pitted dates in a food processor or blender. Shape into balls. Variations: add cacao powder, cinnamon and/or coconut. (You can also buy pre made balls here.)
- A very good herbal tea: I love Chai Tea. Experiment and find what you like.
Realize that most of these foods (except for the tea) are still high on calories, so if you need to lose weight you should not snack on them. Just eat them as part of a meal, or compensate by eating a lighter meal afterwards. They are satisfying and contain lots of fiber, so that should not be a problem.
March 14, 2006